* Australia could form economic bloc dubbed ‘The Quad’ with US, Japan and India
* US state official said the four-way country grouping could fill Indo-Pacific region
* Added South Korea, Vietnam and New Zealand could eventually join the alliance
* The US said ‘The Quad’ could protect against ‘a potential challenge from China’
* Move comes amid rising tensions between the Australian government and China
Australia could join a proposed economic alliance dubbed ‘The Quad’ with the US, Japan and India to reduce reliance on trade with China as tensions between Canberra and Beijing reach new heights.
US Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Biegun has proposed the four-country grouping as a way of filling a trade power vacuum in the Indo-Pacific region.
He added Washington could eventually invite South Korea, Vietnam and New Zealand to join the alliance.
Read more ….
Update #1: With eye on China, U.S. aims to ‘formalize’ four-nation ‘Quad’ security grouping (Japan times)
Update #2: How China Strengthens the Quad (The Diplomat)
WNU Editor: I can easily see scores of other Asian countries joining such an alliance. South Korea, New Zealand, Vietnam, maybe the Philippines and Indonesia to name a few.