* Turkey’s infantry are continuing their advance against Kurdish fighters as they bombard northern Syria
* Operation Peace Spring began on Wednesday with barrages from artillery and war planes
* President Recep Tayyip Erdogan claims a ‘safe zone’ will push the Kurds out and allow for Syrian repatriation
* Trump had agreed to withdraw US troops from Syria and hand control of the military operation to the Turkish
* US President said Turkey’s incursion into Syria was a ‘bad idea’ and that the US ‘does not endorse this attack’
* The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) claim bombing has already killed and wounded civilians
* Jets and artillery targeted Kurdish positions in northern Syria before the ground operation started last night
Turkey’s commandos moved against Kurdish fighters last night after the artillery and air force pounded northern Syria with a barrage of shelling, sending thousands fleeing.
Video footage released by Turkey’s Defence Ministry shows ‘hero’ commandos moving through fields under cover of darkness and firing rounds after Operation Peace Spring was launched on Wednesday afternoon.
The invasion has been widely condemned around the world. Terrified residents were seen fleeing on foot, by car and piling rickshaws high with their possessions as they left their homes – a grim echo of how they sought refuge from the Islamic State only a few years before.
Read more ….
Turkey’s military operation in Syria: All the latest updates — Al Jazeera
Turkey Syria offensive: Tens of thousands flee homes — BBC
Turkey presses Syrian assault as thousands flee the fighting — AP
Thousands flee, hundreds reported dead in Turkish attack on U.S.-allied Kurds in Syria — Reuterss
Tens of thousands of civilians flee Turkish offensive in Syria — Guardian
Airstrikes, shelling as Turkey and Kurds clash in Syria — DW
Turkey pounds north Syrian Kurds in second day of assault as thousands of civilians flee the region — ABC News Online
Fighting rages as Turkey steps up assault against Kurdish forces — Al Jazeera
Turkish President threatens EU with refugee influx, tells Saudis to ‘look in the mirror’ — ABC News Online
Turkish public, politicians voice support for Syria military push — Al Jazeera
Trump says he hopes he can ‘mediate’ between Turkey and the Kurds — Al Jazeera
US Republicans seek sanctions on Turkey over Syria — BBC
House Republicans to introduce bill slapping Turkey with sanctions over offensive in Syria — RT
Divided UN fails to agree on Turkey’s Syria offensive — DW
European powers urge Turkey to ‘cease’ Syria operation — Al Jazeera
Turkey within Trump red line, US seeking ceasefire: official — AFP
Turkey’s offensive in Syria ‘risks causing humanitarian crisis’ — Al Jazeera