One of South Australia’s top doctors and a senior COVID-19 SA Health officer are at odds with their recollections over why approval was given so several Victorian family members of Port Adelaide players could enter the state when tough restrictions were still in place.
- Parents of Port Adelaide AFL footballers were given exemptions to come into SA from Victoria
- A report has found the doctor whose electronic signature was on them did not recall using it
- The Premier says all recommendations in a report into the incident will be implemented
The parents of Port Adelaide footballers were allowed into South Australia from Victoria last month ahead of a qualifying final earlier this month at Adelaide Oval.
Five of them already in hotel quarantine were allowed to stay but Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier revoked the exemptions for the six others after finding out about the issue.
A report commissioned by the Department of Premier and Cabinet released today found the electronic signature of Deputy Chief Medical Officer Evan Everest was used to grant the approval.
However, he said he could not recall using it.
According to the report, a senior but unnamed COVID-19 exemptions officer told investigators he or she was given Dr Everest’s permission to use his electronic signature and believed he had given the exemptions his approval.
Dr Everest said he may have referred their applications to the exemptions committee “and that was mistakenly interpreted to mean he had approved the applications”.
The report made 13 recommendations, including recording when permission was granted to use electronic signatures.
Premier Steven Marshall said all of the recommendations would be accepted and implemented.
He said it was an “isolated” and “regrettable” incident.
“We’ve put this review in place, we now have these recommendations for improvement and we’re getting on with it.”
Hospitality boost as tourists return
The Premier today joined Hilton Adelaide hotel general manager Rupert Hallam in reopening the CBD hotel, which was closed for more than six months.
Mr Marshall said there had been a lot of interest in $100 vouchers for city hotel stays from Thursday, and a 200 per cent increase in traffic to the SA Tourism Commission website since visitors from NSW were allowed to come to the state without a 14-day quarantine three weeks ago.
“I think confidence is stepping back to this economy and of course that’s great news for jobs in the hospitality sector,” Mr Marshall said.
SA Health yesterday announced two people in hotel quarantine had tested positive for COVID-19.
Both cases — one man in his 30s and another in his 50s — recently returned from overseas
There have been a total of 475 cases reported in South Australia.
There are five active cases in the state.