Daily Mail: BREAKING NEWS: Donald Trump FINALLY warns China to ‘work humanely with Hong Kong’ if its wants a trade deal and proposes another meeting with Xi Jinping – after mounting calls to speak out against crackdown on pro-democracy protesters
* Trump encouraged all parties to be ‘calm and safe’ in the tweet and told reporters in brief remarks on a New Jersey tarmac on Tuesday that he hopes it ‘works out for everybody’ and nobody dies in Hong Kong
* He came under criticism on Wednesday from his political opponents, after the vacationing president declined to join other U.S. officials in denouncing violence against the protesters
* House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said he must ‘ walk away from his recent statements, which invite miscalculation, and to work to advance peace, justice and democracy in Hong Kong’ after his Tuesday tweets
* Pete Buttigieg said ‘he should probably be in the Situation Room’ dealing with Hong Kong instead of tweeting
* Trump is ensconced at his Bedminster, New Jersey golf club, where the White House says he will stay
* In Hong Kong, thousands of activists descended on the terminal building this week in unprecedented scenes
* Pro-democracy demonstrators are calling on the pro-Beijing ruling government to make reforms
* China has made ominous declarations suggesting there could be a brutal response to the ongoing unrest
* It wasn’t until Wednesday night that Trump invited Chinese leader Xi Jinping to participate in face-to-face talks on trade and the situation in Hong Kong
* Offer came after the Dow Closed roughly 800 points, or 3 percent, down from the day prior
Donald Trump invited Chinese leader Xi Jinping to participate in face-to-face talks on Wednesday evening amid mounting criticism of the American president’s response to protests in Hong Kong.
He used their flat-lined trade agreement as bait, saying that China must work with ‘work humanely with Hong Kong’ before he’ll reopen economic talks.
‘Of course China wants to make a deal. Let them work humanely with Hong Kong first!’ he said in a tweet.
The ex-businessman said in a follow-up, ‘I know President Xi of China very well. He is a great leader who very much has the respect of his people. He is also a good man in a “tough business.” I have ZERO doubt that if President Xi wants to quickly and humanely solve the Hong Kong problem, he can do it. Personal meeting?’
Read more ….
Hong Kong crisis: Trump moots ‘personal meeting’ with China’s Xi — BBC
Trump warns ‘good man’ Xi to treat Hong Kong humanely or risk trade deal — The Guardian
Donald Trump suggests meeting with China’s Xi Jinping to reach ‘humane’ response to Hong Kong protests — SCMP
Trump suggests ‘personal meeting’ with China’s Xi over Hong Kong crisis — CNBC
‘Personal meeting?’ Trump seeks one-on-one with China’s Xi Jinping over Hong Kong, trade — USA Today
Trump resists aides’ pressure to back Hong Kong protesters — Politico