Daily Mail: Donald Trump blames Barack Obama for giving Iran the cash to buy missiles flung at U.S. bases-as he offers to ’embrace peace’ and claims Tehran is ‘standing down’ but warns of ‘hypersonic weapons’ and ‘lethal and fast’ attacks
* President said Iran can choose peace but warned of new weaponry that’s ready to strike
* He blamed the Obama administration for unfreezing $150 billion and delivering $1.5 billion in cash to jump-start a nuclear nonproliferation deal that has since fallen apart
* ‘As long as I am president of the United States, Iran will never be be allowed have a nuclear weapon,’ he vowed, even before saying ‘Good morning’
* ‘Our missiles are big, powerful, accurate, lethal and fast,’ he said, sending a warning in nearly the same breath as an olive branch
* ‘Under construction are many hypersonic missiles,’ he warned, standing amid a tableau of stern-faced military leaders
* Iran fired 22 ballistic missiles at two Iraqi bases housing American troops early Wednesday local time
* Strikes are not thought to have killed any U.S. or Iraqi personnel, though extent of damage is being assessed
* Ayatollah Khamenei said U.S. was given a ‘slap’ but strikes alone are ‘not enough’ and wants troops kicked out
* There are still fears for U.S. troops after Iran-backed militias in Iraq threatened to carry out their own strikes
Donald Trump blamed Barack Obama on Wednesday for supplying Iran with the money to purchase a torrent of missiles fired at American military positions Tuesday night.
‘The missiles fired last night at us and our allies were paid for with the funds made available by the last administration,’ he said, citing $150 billion in frozen assets that the previous president released and $1.5 billion flown by the U.S. to Tehran.
He began his speech to the world on Wednesday with a familiar ultimatum, even before saying ‘Good morning.’
‘As long as I am president of the United States, Iran will never be be allowed have a nuclear weapon,’ he said.
And Trump backed up that vow with a threat:
‘Our missiles are big, powerful, accurate, lethal and fast,’ he said, sending a warning in nearly the same breath as an olive branch.
‘Under construction are many hypersonic missiles,’ he warned, standing amid a tableau of stern-faced military leaders.
Minutes later he offered an olive branch, urging European nations to make ‘a deal with Iran that makes the world a safer and more peaceful place’ and allows Iran to explore its ‘untapped potential’ as a mainstream trading partner.
‘We want you to have a future, and a great future,’ he told Iran’s people, claiming its military ‘appears to be standing down.’
Read more ….
WNU Editor: Only one thing went through my mind when I watched the above video. It is President Trump laying the groundwork for US forces to leave Iraq and Syria in the not to distant future..
US, Iran step back from brink; Trump says Iran stands down — AP
Trump avoids escalating crisis, says Iran is ‘standing down’ — Reuters
Trump says Iran ‘appears to be standing down’ — France 24
Trump Backs Away from Further Military Conflict With Iran — The New York Times
Trump says Iran ‘appears to be standing down,’ missile strikes resulted in no casualties — FOX News
Trump: Iran ‘standing down’ after missile strikes — BBC
Donald Trump responds to Iranian missile strikes with threat of new sanctions — ABC News Online
Trump: ‘The American people should be extremely grateful and happy’ as Iran stands down after attack — Yahoo News
Trump: US imposing new ‘powerful’ sanctions on Iran after strikes — Al Jazeera
“Iran Appears To Be Standing Down” – Trump Signals Further Sanctions, NATO Engagement — Zero Hedge
‘No lives lost’: Trump holds fire on ‘big missiles,’ talks peace after Iran’s strikes on US bases in Iraq — RT