Up to a third of the military construction budgets President Trump hoped to tap to fund his border wall may have already been spent, Congressional Quarterly reports:
Yesterday, Fox News host Laura Ingraham tweeted a thank you to a free enterprise advocacy organization that calls itself the Job Creators Network, for a Times Square Billboard blasting Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez over the Amazon pullout in New York.
AOC was quick to quip back, highlighting who funded the billboard criticizing her.
According to a report from the Public Accountability Initiative published today, the Job Creator’s Network is funded Trump-supporting billionaires and conservative lobbyists with ties to big corporations, but claims to be “the voice of Main Street”.
Andrew Perez, a reporter for a nonpartisan financial investigation organization called MapLight, shared tax documents also tying the Job Creators Network to Mitch McConnell’s former chief of staff.
Senator and 2020 Presidential hopeful Kamala Harris responded today to the allegations against actor Jussie Smollett, who has been charged with faking a hate crime against himself to boost his salary.
Harris quickly and publicly condemned the attacks against Smollett before investigators uncovered the actor’s alleged fraud. Some divisive public figures have used the case to draw untrue conclusions about hate crimes in the US.
As VICE reports, hate crimes are on the rise and only 0.03 % of those reported turn out to be faked. It’s far more likely that they are underreported as only half of hate crime victims alert the authorities, according to a report from the Bureau of Justice Statistics.
FBI data, which relies on voluntary reporting from local police departments, has also pointed to a rise in hate crimes nationwide in recent years. According to the bureau’s most recent count, hate crime reports jumped by nearly 17 percent in 2017, compared to the previous year. Black and Jewish victims accounted for the biggest spikes”.
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) released data today showing that the Republican tax plan helped US banks make more than $28 billion in additional profit this year, the Hill reports:
Yearly profits increased increased $72. 4 billion from 2017, and the rise includes $28.8 billion more than banks would have kept under the previous tax regime. Bank profits in the fourth quarter of 2018 rose to $59 billion, an $8.1 billion increase from the same period in 2017.
The Republican tax-cut bill reduced the corporate income tax rate to 21 percent from 35 percent. The bill’s supporters said the corporate tax cut would fuel the U.S. economy, while Democrats panned it as a handout to wealthy elites”.
The money hasn’t exactly been spread around. As HuffPost reporter Matt Fuller pointed out on Twitter, wages continue to fall flat. A report from 2018 from the Economic Policy Institute found the cuts have not led to compensation growth.
Nearly $200 million in military construction funds, approved by Congress for projects like submarine manufacturing, aircraft improvement, and repair of aging military facilities across Pennsylvania could be diverted for Trump’s border wall Senator Bob Casey’s office told the Associated Press today.
It’s still unclear how the Trump Administration will pay for the wall but Casey said in a statement that he will “fight like hell to keep this funding and these projects up and running in Pennsylvania”.
The Republican Congressman faced calls for his resignation and was removed from key committees after questioning why white nationalism and white supremacy was offensive, in an interview with the New York Times released in January. It wasn’t the first time King made racist remarks that sparked controversy, but he has refused to step down.
“Don’t let the elitists in this country, the power brokers in this country, tell you who’s going to represent you in the United States Congress” he told hosts on the Iowa Press show, saying he had “nothing to apologize for”.
North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper has weighed in on the State Board of Elections’ decision to re-do the election for his state’s 9th Congressional District, after a months-long investigation into allegations of ballot tampering.
“I thank the Board for unanimously doing the right thing” he said in a statement. “People must have confidence that their vote matters and this action sends a strong message that election fraud must not be tolerated”.
Gabrielle Canon here, taking over for Adam Gabbatt
A newly unsealed complaint filed by federal prosecutors revealed today that an investigative analyst from the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) was charged for handing over former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen’s private bank records to Stormy Daniels’ attorney Michael Avenatti, along with disclosing details of the confidential information to the New Yorker, CNN reports.
The analyst, John C. Fry, was charged by prosecutors in the US Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of California with the unauthorized disclosure of a document called a suspicious activity report, or SAR, which banks file when they review transactions that raise red flags…
In May 2018, Fry, who works in the IRS’ San Francisco office, accessed and downloaded five SARs connected to Cohen, according to the complaint, and then, seeing that other such documents were unavailable in the database, turned over some of the SARs to Avenatti and told The New Yorker reporter that he was alarmed to see other SARs were inaccessible, the complaint says”.
A little more detail on North Carolina ordering that fresh election, from the Associated Press:
The North Carolina State Board of Elections voted 5-0 on Thursday to hold a new election in the 9th Congressional District. The board did not immediately set a schedule.
Following last November’s election, Republican Mark Harris had held a slim lead over Democrat Dan McCready in unofficial results from the district running from Charlotte through several counties to the east. But the state refused to certify the win because of absentee-ballot irregularities.
Harris said Thursday during the hearing that he thought a new election should be called, despite his lawyers arguing in recent legal filings to the state board that he should be certified the winner.
The Republican said he was still struggling from health problems caused by a blood infection that landed him in a hospital and led to two strokes. Harris said he was suffering from confusion, but that he could see there were substantial doubts about fairness and that a new election is necessary.
- Roger Stone has been handed a stricter gag order by a federal judge. The long-time Donald Trump confidante was ruled to have defied an earlier order when he posted a photo of the judge, alongside crosshairs, on social media. Stone is charged with lying to Congress about his communications with Wikileaks, witness tampering and obstruction of an official proceeding.
- North Carolina ordered a new Congressional election in the ongoing voter fraud case in the state. The election will be for the state’s ninth congressional district. After November’s mid-term elections the Republican Mark Harris held a slim lead, but North Carolina refused to certify the win due to irregularities. Harris’s campaign has been subject to a hearing amid fraud claims relating to absentee ballots.
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he will not run for Senate in 2020. Pompeo had been widely linked with running – Senate leader Mitch McConnell reportedly approached the secretary – in his home state of Kansas, where he previously served as a US congressman. “It’s ruled out,” Pompeo said. “I’m here, I’m loving it.”
Sign up for our morning briefing for a global perspective on the US. We’ll email you a summary of the day’s top stories and must-reads. Subscribe now.
- Afghanistan Is Joe Biden’s Saigon
- JUST IN: Supreme Court Strikes Down CDC’s Unconstitutional Eviction Moratorium
- Nicki Minaj Says She Was Locked Out of Twitter Shortly After Sharing Tucker Carlson Clip (VIDEO)
- Joe Biden Overruled the Military Advice and Ordered Kabul Not Bagram to Be Used for Evacuating Afghanistan
- Mike Pompeo Sets the Record Straight After Biden Press Conference From Yesterday
- Manchin Bombards the Networks to Send a Message to Joe Biden: You're Not Getting What You Want
- Biden Calls 13 Dead Service Members And Hundreds Of Americans Abandoned An “Extraordinary Success”
- In Blow to Biden Admin, White House to Withdraw Nomination of Gun Control Activist to Lead ATF
- GOP Puts the Final Nail in Runaway Texas Dems' Anti-Election Integrity Effort
- Now Comes Something Called the Biden Doctrine. Please, God, Spare Us
- Joe Manchin Crushes Democrat Dreams and Leaves the Far-Left in Panic Mode
- BREAKING: Babbitt Family Attorney Terry Roberts identifies the Killer of Ashli Babbitt as USCP Lieutenant…
- Jen Psaki Just Confirmed the White House Is Going to 'Force' Vaccine Mandates on Private Enterprise
- President Biden Purges Trump Appointees On Non-Partisan Military Academy Boards
- Tucker Carlson: Milley Committed Treason, Others Implicated
- Embarrassing: Joe Biden Called out After Telling Second Whopper During Address to Jewish Community
- Rockets Fired on Kabul Airport; C-RAM Reported Activated to Intercept Attack
- The Clock Is Running out for Time’s Up as Major Hollywood Stars Quit the Feminist Organization
- They Think We’re Idiots: US Officials Approve 3rd COVID Shot after 6 Months Instead of 8 Months After…
- BREAKING: Gab CEO Andrew Torba Responds To Dystopian January 6 Select Committee Letter
- With Hurricane Ida, New Orleans and Louisiana Seem to Have Learned Nothing in 16 Years
- BREAKING: State Dept Warns Americans in Kabul to Leave Airport Area Immediately
- President Biden Calls Chinese President Xi To Avoid Conflict Amid Rising Tensions
- BREAKING: Explosion at Kabul Airport, Mass Casualties Reported
- Father of Slain U.S. Marine Delivers Heart-Wrenching Rebuke of Joe Biden
- Apple’s dangerous path
- Biden: $3.5 Trillion Build Back Better Bill Is ‘Going to Transform America’
- Biden State Department Left 600 of Its Own Journalists Behind in Afghanistan
- Today's Attack That Killed 13 U.S. Troops Is The Deadliest For The U.S. Military In Afghanistan Since…
- Biden's Excuse for Bad Jobs Numbers Comes Back and Smacks Him Hard
- Joe Biden Says He Wants to Soak the Rich and I Don't Care
- Pentagon Spox John Kirby Shows How Bankrupt the Biden Admin Is
- Sen. Cotton: Book's Claims About Gen. Milley Seem 'Somewhat Farfetched'
- Rep. Fitzgerald to Newsmax: Biden 'Trying to Reframe' Afghanistan
- Former Acting Sec of Defense Busts Milley: 'Unprecedented Act of Insubordination'
- It Begins: Planes of Americans and Afghan Allies Currently Being Held Hostage by Taliban
- BREAKING: President Trump Releases New Ad Slamming, Exposing Biden Regime, Failures In Afghanistan
- Biden Adviser's Comment Downplaying Rising Food Prices Raises a Lot of Eyebrows
- Biden Blew off Law That Could Have Warned Congress of Coming Debacle in Afghanistan
- Jen Psaki Goes Into Full Gaslighting Mode on the Leaked Call but Trips Over Her Own Words
- Tom Cotton Blisters Tony Fauci for Lecturing America as He Hides His Involvement in COVID’s Creation
- New Twist to the Milley Story Raises Even More Questions