Daily Mail: Iran finally ADMITS shooting down Ukrainian jetliner: Tehran says military ‘unintentionally’ fired missiles at Boeing 737 and killed 176 on board because they thought the plane was an ‘enemy target’
* Iranian state TV, citing a military statement, says the country ‘unintentionally’ shot down a Ukrainian jetliner, killing all 176 aboard
* Iran had denied for several days that two missiles downed the aircraft. But then the U.S. and Canada, citing intelligence, said they believe Iran shot down the aircraft
* Iran has since blamed ‘human error’ for shooting down the plane on Tuesday. The government also offered an apology to families.
* The plane, en route to the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv, was carrying 167 passengers and nine crew members from several countries, including 82 Iranians, at least 63 Canadians and 11 Ukrainians, according to officials
* On Friday, the Federal Aviation Administration revealed that American lives were possibly saved after it issued a notice barring U.S. civilian planes from flying over Iran and Iraq
Iranian state TV, citing a military statement, says the country ‘unintentionally’ shot down a Ukrainian jetliner, killing all 176 aboard, after mistaking the aircraft for a hostile, enemy target.
The statement came Saturday morning, local time, and blamed ‘human error’ for shooting down the plane on Tuesday.
Specifically, Iranian officials says the aircraft ‘took the flying posture and altitude of an enemy target’ as it neared the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps base and attending personal didn’t recognize it as a passenger plane.
‘Under these circumstances, because of human error, [the plane] came under fire,’ the statement read, according to the New York Times.
Following the grave mistake, Iran’s government have offered an apology to families.
Read more ….
WNU Editor: As mentioned in a previous post. Iran had no choice. If they tried to cover this up no airline in the world would then fly into Iran. They had to come clean, and to do so quickly.
Iran acknowledges accidentally downing Ukrainian jetliner — AP
Iran acknowledges accidentally downing Ukrainian jetliner — France 24
Iran says military shot down plane in error, after denial drew scrutiny abroad — Reuters
Iran plane crash: Ukrainian jet was ‘unintentionally’ shot down — BBC
Iran admits shooting down Ukrainian airliner ‘unintentionally’ — The Guardian
Iran Says It Unintentionally Shot Down Ukrainian Airliner — The New York Times
Iran admits ‘unintentionally’ shooting down Ukrainian airliner — DW
Iran blames human error for ‘unintentionally’ shooting down Ukrainian plane — ABC News Online
‘Disastrous mistake’: Iran admits it shot down Ukrainian plane — Al Jazeera
Iran’s Rouhani vows to ‘identify & prosecute’ all responsible for ‘disastrous mistake’ that led to Ukrainian jet downing — RT