Daily Mail: Closing time in America: CDC backs an EIGHT-WEEK nationwide ban on gatherings of more than 50 – as New York City, California Ohio, Illinois and Massachusetts order bars and restaurant to SHUT leaving millions of workers facing hardship
* Gov Gavin Newsom called for the closure of all bars across the state during press conference on Sunday
* Newsom also said that restaurants will have to cut their seating capacity by 50% and social distance people
* New York’s Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that bars and restaurants will start to close Tuesday morning
* Washington state’s governor said that the state’s bars and restaurants will be limited to takeout and delivery
* Ohio Gov Mike DeWine also announced the closure of all bars and restaurants throughout state on Sunday
* Illinois Gov J.B. Pritzker said the closure of all of the state’s bars and restaurants will begin on Monday
* The closures came after CDC advised officials that large events could contribute to the spread of COVID-19
* Earlier Sunday, New York City’s mayor, Bill de Blasio, ordered closure of nation’s largest public school district
Large swathes of America are shutting down after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Sunday night advised against holding large gatherings of more than 50 people for at least eight weeks to fight coronavirus.
The recommendations led to four states ordering bars and restaurants to effectively shut – limiting them to take out only – and New York City ordered the same as well as the shutting down of nightclubs, cinemas and theaters.
Washington, Ohio, Illinois and Massachusetts all ordered bars and restaurants to offer take out food only. California has asked all bars to shut and Los Angeles has ordered owners of establishments to shut them down.
Read more ….
U.S. death toll hits 65 from coronavirus, Fed cuts rate, NYC will shutter restaurants, bars, theaters — Reuters
US moves nearer to shutdown amid coronavirus fears — AP
Coronavirus: US infections likely to surge as mobile testing gets underway, officials say — SCMP
U.S. asks travelers for patience amid chaos, long lines at airports — Reuters
Coronavirus: US airports in disarray over screening — BBC
US extends coronavirus travel ban to UK, Ireland starting Tuesday — Al Jazeera
New York City, Los Angeles mayors order restaurants, bars, theaters closed for coronavirus — Reuters
NYPD transit chief has coronavirus: Cop who protects city’s 5.6m daily subway riders falls ill with a fever as De Blasio warns that the city’s 326 cases will dramatically increase — Daily Mail
Trump calls on Americans to cease hoarding food, supplies — AP
‘Take it easy!’ Trump urges Americans to stop coronavirus stockpiling and insists the outbreak is under ‘tremendous control’ as Pence says food stores WILL stay open — Daily Mail
Hundreds of thousands of extra coronavirus tests will be available next week and screening will focus on health care workers and seniors, says Mike Pence — Daily Mail
Coronavirus risks in US go beyond getting sick — DW
US election campaign hit by coronavirus — Al Jazeera
Gov’t virus testing will prioritize medical staff, elderly — AP