Daily Mail: ‘People are shooting each other for food and water’: Bahamas Hurricane Dorian death toll will be ‘staggering’ with THOUSANDS still missing as bodies pile up and militias are formed to stop looting
* Government has deployed extra security to Bahamas northern islands amid reports of looting and violence
* Corpses have piled up and officials have ordered in hundreds of body bags, and freezers, to store the dead
* Officials are now evacuating people to capital in Nassau but efforts are hampered by flooded airport runways
* Up to 70,000 in need of ‘life-saving assistance’ while health minister has warned of a ‘staggering’ death toll
* Dorian struck the Bahamas as a catastrophic Category 5 storm on Sunday, unleashing deadly 185mph winds
* Half of Bahamas homes destroyed or severely damaged, with $7bn in insured and uninsured property losses
The death toll from devastating Hurricane Dorian will be ‘staggering’ with thousands still missing, officials have warned amid reports looters are ‘trying to shoot people’ in the scramble for food and water.
Up to 70,000 are in need of ‘life-saving assistance’ while Great Abaco is said to be virtually uninhabitable, with bodies piled up and witnesses say there is a ‘smell of death’ with corpses floating in the water.
While the official death toll stands at 30, that number is expected to rise today and hundreds of body bags have been ordered along with extra freezers.
A massive international relief effort was ramped up today as survivors revealed horrifying details of the ‘apocalyptic’ aftermath of the 185mph, Category-5 storm.
Read more ….
Update #1: Aid effort picks up momentum as some Bahamians seek way out (AP)
Update #2: Bahamas hurricane survivors tell of children swept away; death toll reaches 30 (Reuters)
WNU Editor: There is always a fine line between civilization and chaos. This part of the Bahamas is now gripped with chaos and desperation, and it is going to be like this for a long time.