* Russia today said that illegal Syrian and Libyan fighters were being sent to the Nagorno-Karabakh region
* Despite Azerbaijan and ally Turkey denying that F-16 downed Armenian SU-25, defence ministry in Yerevan named dead pilot as Major Valeri Danelin and published photos of jet painted in Armenian Air Force colours
* Meanwhile Azerbaijan claimed it had ‘neutralised’ 2,300 Armenian soldiers as fighting entered fourth day
* It is the worst eruption of violence between the two countries since a 1994 ceasefire over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh territory which is landlocked in Azerbaijan but largely inhabited by Armenians
* Turkey is stridently backed Azerbaijan, raising fears that Russia – which has a military base in Armenia – could be drawn into a proxy war after Moscow and Anakara came close to trading blows in Syria last year
* French President Emmanuel Macron today slammed Turkey’s fighting talk as ‘reckless and dangerous’ after Ankara pledged its full support for Azerbaijan to reclaim the ethnically-Armenian Nagorno-Karabakh territory
Russia has accused Turkey of sending ‘terrorists’ from Syria and Libya into the Nagorno-Karabakh region, where fierce fighting has raged for the past four days between Azerbaijan and ethnic Armenian forces.
Russia’s foreign ministry said today that Syrian and Libyan fighters from illegal armed groups were being sent to the region. Russia called on the countries involved to prevent the use of ‘foreign terrorists and mercenaries’ in the conflict.
Two Syrian rebel sources have said that Turkey is sending Syrian rebel fighters to support Azerbaijan, which Turkey and Azerbaijan have denied.
Earlier today, Armenia revealed photos of the wreckage of its SU-25 fighter jet which it claims was shot down by a Turkish F-16 amid accusations that Ankara is throwing its military might behind Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan today announced it had ‘neutralised’ 2,300 Armenian soldiers as fighting entered a fourth day in the worst eruption of violence between the two countries since a 1994 ceasefire over an Azerbaijani territory which is largely inhabited by Armenians.
Read more ….
Armenia – Azerbaijan War News Updates — September 30, 2020
Nagorno-Karabakh: at least three Syrian fighters killed — The Guardian