Armenia – Azerbaijan War News Updates — September 30, 2020

USA World

[embedded content]  

Daily Mail: Russia claims Turkey has sent ‘terrorists’ from Syria and Libya into Nagorno-Karabakh warzone as fighting between Armenia and Aberbaijan escalates 

* Russia today said that illegal Syrian and Libyan fighters were being sent to the Nagorno-Karabakh region 

* Despite Azerbaijan and ally Turkey denying that F-16 downed Armenian SU-25, defence ministry in Yerevan named dead pilot as Major Valeri Danelin and published photos of jet painted in Armenian Air Force colours 

* Meanwhile Azerbaijan claimed it had ‘neutralised’ 2,300 Armenian soldiers as fighting entered fourth day 

* It is the worst eruption of violence between the two countries since a 1994 ceasefire over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh territory which is landlocked in Azerbaijan but largely inhabited by Armenians 

* Turkey is stridently backed Azerbaijan, raising fears that Russia – which has a military base in Armenia – could be drawn into a proxy war after Moscow and Anakara came close to trading blows in Syria last year 

 * French President Emmanuel Macron today slammed Turkey’s fighting talk as ‘reckless and dangerous’ after Ankara pledged its full support for Azerbaijan to reclaim the ethnically-Armenian Nagorno-Karabakh territory 

Russia has accused Turkey of sending ‘terrorists’ from Syria and Libya into the Nagorno-Karabakh region, where fierce fighting has raged for the past four days between Azerbaijan and ethnic Armenian forces. 

Russia’s foreign ministry said today that Syrian and Libyan fighters from illegal armed groups were being sent to the region. Russia called on the countries involved to prevent the use of ‘foreign terrorists and mercenaries’ in the conflict. 

Two Syrian rebel sources have said that Turkey is sending Syrian rebel fighters to support Azerbaijan, which Turkey and Azerbaijan have denied. 

 Earlier today, Armenia revealed photos of the wreckage of its SU-25 fighter jet which it claims was shot down by a Turkish F-16 amid accusations that Ankara is throwing its military might behind Azerbaijan. 

Azerbaijan today announced it had ‘neutralised’ 2,300 Armenian soldiers as fighting entered a fourth day in the worst eruption of violence between the two countries since a 1994 ceasefire over an Azerbaijani territory which is largely inhabited by Armenians. 

Read more ….  

Armenia – Azerbaijan War News Updates — September 30, 2020   

Live Updates: Armenia’s Ministry of Defence Publishes Photo of ‘Downed’ Su-25 — Sputnik 

Azerbaijan, Armenia no closer to ending clashes after 4 days — AP
 

France and Turkey at odds as Karabakh fighting divides NATO allies — Reuters
 

Nagorno-Karabakh Clashes Enter Fourth Day Despite UN Call For De-Escalation — RFE
 

Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict: Azerbaijan president vows to fight on — BBC
 

Nagorno-Karabakh: Azerbaijan and Armenian forces fight new clashes — DW
 

Nagorno-Karabakh: at least three Syrian fighters killed — The Guardian
 

Russia Warns Against Use of Mercenaries in Karabakh Conflict, Calls for Their Immediate Withdrawal — Sputnik
 

Baku claims to have destroyed S-300 air defense system & killed or wounded 2,300 Armenian soldiers as Karabakh clashes continues — RT
 

UN Security Council calls for immediate end to fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh — France 24